Get on board with Extra Inning Softball's regular feature, The Last Inning.
We are scouring the Internet and Social Media and keeping our ears to the street for the latest going on in the softball community.
To contribute information, insights, thoughts or content ideas, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and also email@example.com. Also, forward via Twitter @Los_Stuff.
Here’s our TLI for Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020 …
SCOUTING REPORT: PANTHERS GOLD 18U
TLI will be taking a look at some of the top teams from across the nation as the fall season heats up.
Today we take a look at Chris Hernandez's team, Panthers Gold 18U.
Here are the team’s summer record/top finishes:
- Did not play any tournaments in 2020 summer
- Top 25 PGF Premier finishes in the last 5 years
- Finished third at PGF 12U Premier in 2016
What will it take for your team to be successful this season? Our success will come down to being able to compete in key moments and execute under pressure. Our pitching staff will keep us in every game and our offense will require timely hitting in order for us to reach greatness.
Who is your No. 1 pitcher and what can you tell me about her skills? Who else could see some time in the circle? Our top pitcher and one of the best in the country is Dee Dee Hernandez. Her experience in big games will carry us forward. Her sidekick since the age of 9 has been Justine Bergara, who both complement each other’s pitching style. Devin Waddell and Ari Martinez are forces to be reckoned with. All pitchers add something different to our competitive environment.
What can we expect from your offense? Explosive offense with power from top to bottom. We won’t be much of a bunting group, but we'll do the little things needed to push runs across the plate.
- Dee Dee Hernandez (2021, LHP/1B, one of the most accomplished players in her class. Currently plays with Mexico’s National Team. Has pitched internationally at the women’s level since the age of 15)
- Justine Bergara (2021, RHP/1B, has been in the Panthers program since 2011 when the 10U team was started. Has command of all her pitches with a nasty change-up that is her bread and butter)
- Gizella “G” Vargas Sandoval (2022, C/3B/SS/2B, the team's most versatile player and usually leads off our lineup. Another player that has been with the program since 2011. Plays for Mexico’s Junior National Team)
- Alondra “Ona” Dominguez (2022, 3B/1B, a power-hitting corner that is consistent at the plate. Has the highest ball exit speed on the team. Plays for Mexico’s Junior National Team)
- Devin Waddell (2021, LHP/1B/OF, a power pitcher that has experience in big games. Has a big bat and will be in the middle of the lineup)
- Victoria “Vicky” Trujillo (2021, OF/2B, one of the smartest players on the team and most liked by her teammates. What she may lack in size is made up by heart and determination)
- Alysa “DQ” DeQuiroz (2022, SS/2B, has developed in size and strength which has helped her game tremendously. DQ will be a force to be reckoned with this year and has emerged as one of the team's top recruits)
- Katelyn Garcia (2022, OF, has a trong arm, covers a lot of ground and is fast ... all the tools needed for an elite outfielder)
- Isabella “Bella” Cardenas (2021, RHP/OF, has a very good change-up that she is able to use in any count. Hits her corners well and continues to strive for excellence. One of the top students on the team academically)
- Trinity Jones Estrada (2022, C/3B/1B/OF/2B, the team's most versatile utility player. Has played all positions. Her versatility will make her an impact player)
- Keira “Koko” Carrillo (2022, OF/C, has three older siblings playing D1 softball and D1 baseball, so being competitive comes natural to her. Has spent a lot of time getting stronger and her hard work is paying off)
- Savannah Arreguin (2022, P/OF/slapper, coming off an injury but has picked up where she left off. She is a hard-throwing pitcher that leads the team's 2022 Class. Only slapper on the team and has wheels)
- Chandler Martin (2022, C/3B, a power-hitting corner that continues to improve her defense. Has great fundamentals and a big bat. She continues to develop into an impact player)
- Leah Essary (2022, 2B/SS/OF, continues to develop and improve her skills. She will get plenty of opportunities this year to showcase her skills)
- Vinessa “Nessa” Nunez (2021, SS/2B, her arm strength and range has the potential to set her apart from the rest. She has experience playing at a high level and carries a lot of confidence in her abilities)
- Andreya “Drey” Flores (2021, C/2B, hard-working and determined to get better every time she steps on the field. She gets after it at every practice and looking forward to her becoming a standout)
- Arianna “Ari” Martinez (2021, P/1B, an instant impact on the team as she joins an already strong 2021 pitching staff. She stands 6-foot tall making her the tallest player on the team with an overwhelming presence not only in the circle but at the plate as well)
- Casey Edwards (2022, P/1B, has the potential to lead the 2022 pitching staff. She has great command of her pitches with good velocity)
*** Scroll down to read more…