This week’s Extra Inning Softball National High School Player of the Week selection goes to a standout pitcher in the Lone Star State who came up big when it counted; as many other states like California and Florida had finished their seasons previously, we see a lot of mentions in Texas, which wrapped up its playoffs in the last week…
Extra Inning Softball’s National High School Player of the Week
Katy Janes, a junior pitcher from Hargrave (Huffman, Texas) High and a commit to Houston Baptist, came up big in the Texas 4A championship as she gave up just one hit and struck out 11 in the 12-0, six-inning victory over Anna High. The win gave her a 27-5 record for the season.
She also was 2-for-3 at the plate with a two-run home run and a double to be named as the 4A Final MVP.
In the semis, Katy also pitched a masterpiece as she again went seven innings for the complete game win, this time giving up two hits but recording 15 K’s in the 4-0 win over Fredericksburg.
It was the Lady Falcons’ second state championship in five years and in her two final games of the season Katy collected 26 K’s while giving up just three hits. Those games were shutouts and so were the previous two in the state playoffs.
Hargrave finished with a 38-7-1 mark and won 14 of its last 15 games.
The junior told the Houston Chronicle: ““It was amazing, to say the least. The environment playing here, the amount of fans that came out to watch us, it was incredible. I wouldn’t have had it any other way.”
Runner-Up Players of the Week
* Abby Herbst, one of the top pitchers in the Midwest and a sernior signee with Wisconsin, didn’t give up a run in three games—one of those being a no-hitter—as she led Center Grove (Indiana) to a regional championship. In the no-hitter not a ball even left the infield and she’s led the Trojans to the Class 4A state finals for the 11th time.
* Marissa Santos, a freshman at D’Hanis (Texas) High, had a big weekend as she led her team to the UIL 1A State championship. Santos was also named as the 1A State Tournament MVP as she came up with two big performances in the semi’s and finals to give D’Hanis High the title. In the two games she got complete game victories and recorded 16 strikeouts.
* Aaliyah Garcia was the MVP at the Class 5A level in the UIL state tournament as the pitcher for Angleton (Texas) had a game-winning RBI in the thrilling 7-6 11-inning win over Forney in which she had 13 strikeouts. In the title game she gave up just one earned run while striking out nine to give Angleton its first state title in 15 years.
* Senior catcher Cait Calland of Katy (Texas) which won the 6A State Championships, was the difference in the big semi-final game win to put her team in the title game. In the bottom of the 6th in a scoreless contest, she was hit by a pitch, went to second on a sacrifice, stole third base and then stole home to give her team a 1-0 win. In the title win, an 8-2 victory over Klein Collins, Cait had a pair of RBIs and
* Huntyr Ava, a senior infielder with Salt Lake City West (Utah) High and the Utah Gatorade State Player of the Year, has had a huge season including leading West to the Class 5A state championship. In the 12-2 and 17-4 wins in the title games (including the “If” game), the BYU-bound slugger went a combined 4-for-7 with two home runs, eight RBIs and for the season had a .699 batting average with 19 home runs and an amazing 70 RBIs in 28 games.
Previous 2019 Extra Inning Softball National High School Players of the Week
- May 27: P Aynslie Furbush (Winter Springs, Florida)
- May 20: SS Bailey Dowling (St. Joseph-Ogden, St. Joseph, Illinois)
- May 13: P Britton Rogers (Cypress Ranch, Cypress, Texas)
- May 6: C Neely Peterson (Cypress Creek Middle, Wesley Chapel, Florida)
- Apr. 29: OF/IF/P Angela Zedak (Marist, Chicago, Illinois)
- Apr. 22: SS Kali Heivilin (Three Rivers, Michigan)
- Apr. 15: 3B Trinity Cannon (Forney, Texas)
- Apr. 8: P/1B Sydney Supple (North, Oshkosh, Wisconsin)
- Apr. 1: OF Leea Hanks (Eustis, Florida)
- Mar. 25: P/IF Madison Inscoe (Nansemond-Suffolk Academy, Suffolk, Virginia)
- Mar. 18: 1B/OF Avery Goelz (Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton, Florida)
- Mar. 11: OF/2B Tanya Windle (Cactus, Glendale, Arizona)
- Mar. 4: SS Hallie Wacaser (Bentonville West, Centerton, Arkansas)
- Feb. 25: P Stevie Hansen (Norco, California)
Each week during the spring and summer high school seasons, Extra Inning Softball will honor a National High School Player of the Week.
The honoree will be announced every Monday night/Tuesday morning; cutoff for submitting the nominations is each Sunday at 11 pm EST/8 pm PST.
We’re looking for standouts who excelled in the circle, at the plate or in the field so be sure to nominate your favorite performance(s) by submitting the following:
- Player Name
- Grad Year (example: Class of 2018 or Senior)
- High school team name with city/state
- Stats for the week (be as detailed as possible!)
- Up-to-date season stats if possible
- Recruiting information if applicable
- Any interesting background on the player
- Action and/or head shots
- If possible, contact info if we’d like more info or quotes
Email your info and photos (1-4 as available) by the cutoff of Sunday 11 pm EST/ 8 pm PST to: email@example.com.