As is always the case, we get a lot of comments—compliments, criticisms and questions—and while we answered many of these in the middle of the summer (see below) when we did the 2023 Extra Elite 100 and deeper rankings, there were some new questions that came in over the last month—some with new twists- so time to address the “how is it done?” aspect of the rankings once again!
First, here are some of the emails and texts that came in over the last few weeks:
* Do you take donations to get players on your list? I’ve heard from some local coaches that’s how it’s done… - D.
* How are these players rankings figured? How do you get players ranked? – J.
* How does a player get put on your Extra Elite player listings? Are there many players that don’t get acknowledged for select reasons even though they surpass others on the listings in multiple areas? – S.
* How does (my daughter) get placed at (ranking X) when she out-performed (her teammates) in nearly every category during club season? – S.
* How and what type of information do you receive to rank the players? – W.
* Your ranking are (sic) terrible!!! Did you even verify any of this info or just take the dads/moms write up and print? Wow terrible. – R.
* I am trying to figure out how to get my daughter noticed for her work on the field. How does a player get notice by EI to be ranked? Should clips of the player be sent? Do we invite EI to watch her play?
* I wanted to know the ranking process. Is it from film sent in, coaches submitting info or do you all offer a camp to get tested and seen at? I have seen several local girls ranked that I have seen and wondered how more girls could be seen to possibly get ranked.
Many of the above is answered in the original article below, but some new and/or additional points I wanted to emphasize:
* We don’t take donations to get players in the rankings, no! no! no! Or any type of payola that would comprise the integrity of the rankings. We’ve been offered “gratitude” gifts like hats or even food, but can’t take anything that might look like favoritism or being bought to get into the rankings.
The only “support” we’re looking for is feedback, good and bad, as well as information for more stories!
* A couple of the comments addressed performance or stats, including comparisons to other players. Considering stats is tricky, because it gives info on player performances and can validate talent, especially if it’s against elite competition, but it can also be the reverse if the numbers are inflated against inferior teams or in showcases where it’s not necessarily the best gauge.
Bluntly, stat analysis is a factor we look at, but is down the list.
* One reader asked if film clips should be sent or if we (Extra Inning Softball staff) should be invited to watch a player in person. Absolutely! We’d be happy to check out teams and players if we’re at an event.
We can’t be everywhere, but it doesn’t hurt to let us know a player’s schedule much like you would a college coach.
* Verifying info… one unhappy camper asked if we verify info or just take what mom/dad send in. Honestly, we can’t verify every stat that comes in, no, but if it’s over-inflated then it will be exposed by someone, often by the coaches who know if a parent is out of turn.
It’s like going to MaxPreps—are all the numbers provided for players and teams there confirmed? Doubtful, but you have to trust the system.
We don’t base a player’s ranking on what a parent or player sends in, we can use to add to a bio, but the evaluation comes from our scouts or by coaches who work with or know the athlete.
*** Scroll down to read more about the rankings process and how a player, parent or coach can be part of it!