Our Extra Inning Softball National Club Player & National Club Team of the Week series moved into Week 3 for the 2020 summer season with today’s edition.
The Club Player/Team of the Week features great individual and team accomplishments from the past weekend along with those who were Runners-Up with similarly strong performances.
This week’s honorees are from games and tournaments in the week of Monday, June 22 through Sunday June 28, 2020… scroll to the bottom for details to submit info for future candidates.
National Club Player of the Week:
Stevie Hansen (Athletics – Mercado/Smith 18U)
The Athletics – Mercado program took two of the three titles at Top Club National over the weekend, winning the 18U and 14U championships.
Leading the way for the older group was pitcher Stevie Hansen, a 2021 commit to Oregon who had a huge week in Oklahoma City.
In leading her A’s team to the 18U title, Stevie—ranked #7 in the 2021 Extra Elite 100—was all but untouchable as she went 6-0 with only two runs allowed in 33 innings against elite competition including the Georgia Impact, which her top-ranked A’s team beat 1-0 in eight innings in the finale.
Stevie gave up just two hits in the win and had six K’s, part of her 46 strikeouts for the title run.
“I feel very proud of myself and so happy that my coaches played me as much and trusted/believed in me to throw in the championship,” the pitcher told Extra Inning Softball today. “It was a great experience and helped me to prove that I can be trusted in situations with a lot of pressure.”
In total, the outstanding pitcher saw action in seven games and didn’t allow a run in all but one of them. She also didn’t allow more than three hits in any win and had 10 K’s in two of the contests.
Stevie helped her Athletics – Mercado/Greg team finish 5th at PGF Nationals last summer and got her National Championship for the summer of 2020 last weekend after having a spectacular week in the circle.
Here’s an interview with Stevie and teammate Quincee Lilio, who had the game-winning hit in the championship game:
Runners-Up / National Player of the Week
* Michelle Tarpey, a 2021 infielder with the Carolina Cardinals, hit .700 last weekend at the PGF Southern Showdown and had seven home runs including a grand slam while putting up 11 RBIs. The North Carolina commit for John Garner and Monte Sherrill’s team received some coaching help which has helped her take her game to another level. “Michele has always been a high impact hitter but we worked extremely hard on changing her bat plane last week with her hitting about 1,000 balls on a slightly elevated plane,” explains Coach Sherrill. “We basically turned her hard ground ball contacts into a 20° elevated angle which produced unbelievable results . I have never seen another hitter other than Mia Davidson hit with such travel distance.”
* Ava Wood, a 2024 middle infielder and leadoff batter for Frozen Ropes Starts Elite – Wood out of McKinney, Texas hit .500 last week with a .666 on-base percentage last week while stealing three bases and helping turn three double players. She is a four sport athlete who also excels in volleyball, basketball, and track where she holds multiple district championships. Assistant Coach Brian Simmons says, “Ava is the epitome of a tough player, she would have to be carried off the field to leave it. As a coach, it is hard to find 5-tool players and she is one of them!
* Morgan Hess, a 2021 pitcher/outfielder with Stars National – Belfield 16U out of Vienna, Virginia, helped her team finish 2nd at the USA Elite Select World Fastpitch Championship as she threw 29.2 innings giving up just two earned runs while striking out 23 opposing batters. She had a one-hitter in the winner’s bracket championship against Tampa Mustangs – Maguire and also hit a clutch two-run double to tie the game in the top of the 7th in a winner’s bracket championship game. Morgan committed to Presbyterian College (South Carolina) in September of 2019.
Scroll down to see who else was honored as Runners-Up for the week & who took the National Club Team of the Week!
How to Submit Information:
Each week during the summer, Extra Inning Softball will recognize a National Club Player & Team of the Week.
Those honored will typically be announced on Tuesdays. The cutoff for submitting the nominations for Player & Team of the Week will be Mondays at 9 pm EST/6 pm PST.
Next week’s candidates will include play from Monday, June 15, 2019 through Sunday, June 21, 2020.
* Individually, we’re looking for standouts who excelled in the circle, at the plate or in the field so be sure to nominate your favorite performance(s) by submitting the following:
- Player Name
- Grad Year (example: Class of 2021 or Incoming Senior)
- Club team name with city/state
- Stats for the week (be as detailed as possible!)
- Up-to-date season stats if possible
- Recruiting information if applicable
- Any interesting background on the player
- Action and/or head shots
- If possible, contact info if we’d like more info or quotes
* Teams to be considered should include info such as record, key wins, standout performances and more for the week.
Email your info and photos (1-4 as available) by the cutoff of Mondays at 9 pm EST/6 pm PST to: firstname.lastname@example.org.