There is so much going on in softball now, especially in the college and club worlds involving events, recruiting... something new seems to break every day!
We’ve been on the phone with college and club coaches, event directors, administrators, etc. and have come across some interesting things going on. A special thanks to Robby Wilson and his team at NSR as much of what is included below came from NSR scouts who spoke with several DI and travel ball coaches…
Note that some of these are speculation while others are confirmed as happening, but we thought all would be of interest to the softball community.
--- Brentt Eads, Extra Inning Softball
* There is talk of potentially 20-30% budget cuts across Div. 1 & Div .2 schools. In some cases, the allotted amount of scholarships are being decreased by the individual institutions. Besides returning players from eligibility extension, this is causing issues with money for upcoming recruits.
* As one would imagine, having to contact verbal commits and let them know their scholarship amounts are being decreased or not there anymore is not a fun part of coaching these days.
The unsurprising result? Decommits by coaches and/or players.
* Current players aren’t immune, either; many are being impacted by budget cuts and eligibility extensions. The result there: the Transfer Portal is swelling.
* Another group being greatly hurt by Coronavirus impacts: assistant coaches who make a lot of their income from camps.
*Fundraising is also taking a huge hit with cancellation and postponement of camps & clinics. Look for most camps to be rescheduled for Fall if possible.
*We are hearing from coaches from all divisions that there will be more regional play than anything else for next couple of seasons.
*Some conferences are discussing re-aligning due to travel expenses and health concerns due to COVID-19.
*All UC State schools are starting with on-line classes for the Fall and Fall sports suspended. (Confirmed)
* After tomorrow’s (May 27) NCAA meeting many expect to see Div. 1 Dead Period and Div. 2 Quiet Period to extend to July 31st and possibly longer.
*NCAA taking this one month at a time because it is easier to extend the dead periods versus retract what was earlier decided.
*** Scroll down to read more about the talk around college, recruiting and club news…