We announce this week’s Extra Inning Softball National High School Player of the Week awards and feature a top pitcher/infielder who was perfect in the circle in one game and came up just short of a hitting cycle in another..
Extra Inning Softball’s National High School Player of the Week
We’ve had some great hitting performances and some stellar pitching outings for our National Player of the Week honorees the last couple of years and this week’s honorees had both.
Madison Inscoe, a highly-regarded freshman pitcher/infielder at Nansemond-Suffolk Academy in Suffolk, Virginia, takes home the honor this week for being lights out with her arm and bat.
In a victory last Tuesday and a pair last Saturday, she hit .778 (7-for-9) for the week and also went 2-0 in the circle with one of the wins being a perfect game.
In that game, which only went four innings as it was a run-rule win, she threw just 36 pitches with 29 of them being strikes.
Madison, who was an Extra Inning Softball National Player of the Week Runner-up last April, pitched 11 innings for the week with 20 K’s and a 0.37 ERA while hitting two doubles, a home run and knocking in seven RBIs.
In one of the games, Madison was 3-for-4 with a deep home run to left field against the wind and over an eight-foot fence. Her other hits were a double and triple, so she was just a single away from hitting a cycle.
A perfect game and a hitting cycle would have been quite the duo, but still it was a great week for the pitcher/shortstop who plays club ball for the Birmingham Thunderbolts 04 team coached by Ted Flannery.
So which was she more proud of, her hitting or pitching?
“It was exciting to pitch the perfect game and hit the home run,” Madison said, “but I really wanted that last at-bat to get the cycle. That’s like a once-in-a-lifetime accomplishment.”
She was coming up to bat, when the mercy-rule run crossed the plate.
“That’s how softball goes!” she finished.
For the season, Madison is 3-0 with a save and a 0.37 ERA. The freshman has recorded 34 K’s in 19 innings with only one earned run allowed in the four games she’s pitched.
At the plate she is 11-for-16 (.688) in five games with one home run, 10 RBI, a .762 on-base percentage, a 1.375 slugging percentage and an OPS of 2.137.
Runner-Up Players of the Week
* Micalea “Micky” Wark also had a big week hitting and pitching. The sophomore at Reedy (Frisco, Texas) High is an All-American candidate as she leads her Texas 5A-District 9 in batting average (.606), home runs (7), RBIs (23), on-base percentage (.658) and strikeouts (73 K’s in 52 innings) and all of those were greatly helped last week as the University of Houston commit threw a complete game shutout, had 16 K’s in 10 innings pitched and had a monster game in which she homered twice, single and doubled and knocked in nine RBIs.
* Kristyn Dexter, a senior pitcher/infielder at Big Valley Christian (Modesto, California) High, had a huge pair of games as she went 8-for-8 with five doubles, two home runs and 15 RBI as her team won 18-0 and 16-1 thanks to her huge offensive output. She also pitched her team to a no-hitter in one of the games with 11 K’s while striking out 10 more in the other game.
* Emma Landauer, who was just listed last week in the 2023 Extra Elite 100, plays for the HCYA (Homeschool Christian Youth Assoc.) Warriors out of Tomball, Texas and in three games went 7-for-10 with four doubles, two home runs and 11 RBIs. She and her family moved from Colorado a year and a half ago for more opportunities to develop her softball game and already this year the infielder/pitcher has 12 home runs (including four multi-home run games), 48 RBI and is batting .617.
* Madison Garcia, a freshman outfielder/catcher for Pines Charter (Pembroke Pines, Florida) High batted .571 last week with two singles, a double, triple and two RBIs and for the season is hitting .737 (11-for-20) with 11 singles and four RBI.
Previous 2019 Extra Inning Softball National High School Players of the Week
- Mar. 18: 1B/OF Avery Goelz (Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton, Florida)
- Mar. 11: OF/2B Tanya Windle (Cactus, Glendale, Arizona)
- Mar. 4: SS Hallie Wacaser (Bentonville West, Centerton, Arkansas)
- Feb. 25: P Stevie Hansen (Norco, California)
Each week during the spring and summer high school seasons, Extra Inning Softball will honor a National High School Player of the Week.
The honoree will be announced every Monday night/Tuesday morning; cutoff for submitting the nominations is each Sunday at 11 pm EST/8 pm PST.
We’re looking for standouts who excelled in the circle, at the plate or in the field so be sure to nominate your favorite performance(s) by submitting the following:
- Player Name
- Grad Year (example: Class of 2018 or Senior)
- High school team name with city/state
- Stats for the week (be as detailed as possible!)
- Up-to-date season stats if possible
- Recruiting information if applicable
- Any interesting background on the player
- Action and/or head shots
- If possible, contact info if we’d like more info or quotes
Email your info and photos (1-4 as available) by the cutoff of Sunday 11 pm EST/ 8 pm PST to: email@example.com.