Our Extra Inning Softball National Club Player & National Club Team of the Week focuses on great individual and team play in Colorado this week…
here’s a look at some of the standouts who lit up Boulder IDT and Colorado Fireworks/Sparker tourneys.
National Club Player of the Week:
* Lauren Nett is an impressive 2020 third baseman/catcher/outfielder for the EC Bullets CA 2020 team and had a strong week at Boulder IDT helping her team finish tied for 9th in the 18U age division.
The uncommitted senior-to-be is “an incredible player” according to Club President A.J. Robinson. “This is a kid that everyone needs to know about.”
Thought the team lost on a walk-off to Athletics – Mercado/Smith late Sunday night, Lauren hit .560 for the weekend with 19 RBI and an Ops of 1.600. She also had a .966 fielding percentage and then showcased her power by hitting a home run in the All-State game.
Lauren is now hitting .522 for the summer with eight home runs, 39 RBI, a 1.440 OPS.
Runners-Up for National Player of the Week:
* Outfielder Addy Edgmon of the Fury Platinum 2022/2023 Polk team based out of Tennessee went 18-for-35 (.514) with 18 runs scored, 11 RBI, five triples and two home runs in 12 games to give her a .553 on-base percentage.
The Tennessee-Chattanooga commit went 4-for-4 with a home run and three runs scored against the strong West Bay Warriors and went 2-for-3 with a triple against the highly-touted Birmingham Thunderbolts – Flannery team.
* Kennady Warder of Southern Force Premier – Palmer had a strong week at Boulder IDT.
The catcher/middle infielder finished her high school season batting .600 in Kentucky and has remained hot going 23-for-37(.622) at the Scenic City and Team 1 tourneys.
This past week in the IDT Kennady batted 9-14 (.643) with a home run against Nebraska Gold, a double off of OC Batbusters and seven RBIs for the week.
Here’s a clip of her home run. Click HERE.
* Infielder Shorty Goodwin of the TN Mojo – Fisher team helped her team go 12-2 in the 14U Power Pool at TCS Sparklers Jr. The Georgia commit led the offense for the third-place finishers as she had a team-best .596 batting average.
* Kylie Chung, a pitcher/first baseman for the ACES – Ashley 16U team, had a strong week at the Colorado Fireworks as she hit .526 (10-for-19) with four home runs and nine RBIs. She also had a 1.813 OPS and in four games pitching went 1-1 with 22 strikeouts in 15 1/3rd innings.
National Club Team of the Week:
Ryan Taylor’s Aces Fastpitch organization has been on a great run already this summer and his 18U team won the coach calls “the toughest tournament outside of PGF Premier Nationals: Boulder IDT.”
The team from Missouri ended up a perfect week going 13-0.
“Saturday during bracket play the Aces got out running, gaining the lead and never looking back,” Coach Taylor said. “Sunday was a different story (with us) getting down in all three games early and battling way back with consistent offense.”
At the plate Oklahoma signee Mackenzie Donihoo hit .594 with 12 RBIs on three home runs and Maci Cunconan, an Oklahoma State commit, led the team with 14 RBs. Infielder Kinsey Fielder, one of the top players in the nation regardless of class, led the team with four home runs and tied Donihoo with 12 runs knocked in. 2020 Oklahoma State commit Avery Hobson made the offense go from the leadoff spot hitting .487 with only one strikeout.
“It was a true team effort at the plate,” Taylor continued, “as batters 1-through-9 battled.”
As a team the Aces hit .396 and the pitching was stellar also as Mac Morgan (Arizona State), Makenna Klietheremes (Oregon) and Lauren Howell (Arkansas) combined for 56 strikeouts and had a WHIP of .879 while holding opponents to a .174 batting average.
In Bracket play, the Aces beat the Sparks (Illinois), Newtown Rock and Corona Angels-Tyson in the championship.
Runners-Up for National Club Team of the Week:
* The Texas Bombers HTX Burgess 14U team won the prestigious Colorado Sparkler Jr. Power Pool going 11-1 for the week and knocking off the OC Batbusters – Flores team 10-2 in the title game.
The Bombers also impressed defeating some of the top club teams in the age division including the Athletics – Mercado/Tidd, Atlanta Vipers-Tamborra, EC Bullets, Birmingham Thunderbolts – Flannery, Lady Lightning, West Bay Warriors and Firecrackers Brashear 2022
Key for the Bombers was the power game as Kayden Henry and Aiyana Coleman had three and four home runs, respectively, and Katie Lott added two more.
“It’s really exciting to be in a tournament like this,” Coleman, who had three hits and three RBIs in the championship game, told Triple Crown Sports’s Michael Roley.” It’s a national tournament and we were just really pumped and we were trying really hard to win this.”
To get to the championship game, the Bombers began the day with a 10-6 win over West Bay Warriors Gold in the quarterfinals and then won a tight 3-2 game over FC Brashear 2022 to reach the finals.
For the season the team is 19-5-1
* The Fury 2022 team played in the Colorado Jr Sparkler event and won the Elite Power Pool on Sunday.
The Fury went 8-1-1 and scored a total of 73 runs while allowing only 27. Five of the team’s players finished the week with home runs.
Also, six on the team’s roster 6 participated in the All Star Games before the tournament started at the beginning of the week: Taelor Chang, Ashlynn Phillips, Caiti Beth Gallaher, Annabelle Ellis, Olivia Evans, Jacey Hatfield.
2019 Extra Inning Softball Club Players of the Week
- July 9: IF Lauren Nett (East Cobb Bullets CA 2020)
- July 2: IF Erika Andal (Jersey Intensity 18U - KOD)
- June 25: IF Haidyn Sokoloski (Texas Glory 14U - Naudin)
- June 18: P Maddie Penta (PA Chaos 18U - Spina)
2019 Extra Inning Softball Club Teams of the Week
- July 9: Aces Fastpitch 18U – Ryan Taylor
- July 2: OC Batbusters 18U - Mike Stith
- June 25: Tennessee Mojo 14U - Josh Fisher
- June 18: PA Chaos 18U - Joe Spina
How to Submit Information:
Each week during the summer, Extra Inning Softball will recognize a National Club Player & National Club Team of the Week.
Those honored will typically be announced on Tuesdays.
The cutoff for submitting the nominations for Player & Team of the Week will be Mondays at 10 pm EST/7 pm PST.
NOTE: the player submitted does NOT have to be on the team submitted.
National Club Player of the Week Criteria
Individually, we’re looking for standouts who excelled in the circle, at the plate or in the field so be sure to nominate your favorite performance(s) by submitting the following:
- Player Name
- Grad Year (example: Class of 2019 or Senior)
- Club team name with city/state
- Stats for the week (be as detailed as possible!)
- Up-to-date season stats if possible
- Recruiting information if applicable
- Any interesting background on the player
- Action and/or head shots
- If possible, contact info if we’d like more info or quotes
National Club Team of the Week Criteria
Teams of all divisions--18U down to 10U--to be considered should include the following:
- Team name
- Age division
- Head coach
- Week's record
- Where played (event/tournament)
- Key wins (championship win, for example)
- Standout player performances as applicable
- Team or key player photo (if available)
Email your info and photos (1-4 as available) by the cutoff of Mondays at 10 pm EST/ 7 pm PST to: email@example.com.